material which Can lead to obstruction or ulceration.
Bezoar Types :
• A phytobezoar is formed from poorly digested plant fibre.
• A trichobezoar is formed from ingested hair, almost always in females.
Trichobezoar. Large ‘hair ball’ mass completely filling the stomach (arrow).
Radiological features :
AXR:• A mass may be seen within the stomach.
• May demonstrate bowel obstruction.
Barium studies:• May demonstrate an intraluminal filling defect that does not have a fixed site of attachment to the bowel wall.
• Barium may flow into crevices within thebezoar.
• This may demonstrate a low-density mass containing pockets of air.
• As on barium studies, oral contrast may intersperse with the mass
though gaps between the ingested materials.
Trichobezoar (same patient) in coronal CT reformat.Oral contrast is seen outlining the huge trichobezoar.